Embracing the moment by Claire Musters


With all the other things vying for our time, carving out moments to write can seem almost impossible. And, when we get them, we can guard them as if they are the most precious thing in the world – or get totally distracted and end up frustrated that we didn’t achieve what we wanted to.

I know, in the past, that I have actually wished moments to pass so that I could get to my writing. I’ve come to realise that that causes me to miss what is right in front of me at any given moment. As a Christian and as a writer I need to realise that that is foolishness, as savouring each second feeds both elements in my life.

I recently co-presented a seminar on being mindful of Christ’s presence and am currently writing some Bible study notes based on the same subject. It has taught me a lot about how being totally present in the moment can help us to be open to learning new things about the mundane, experiencing Jesus afresh in daily tasks and opportunities.

I am just coming to the end of two weeks with my kids on Easter holidays. There is very little time to write during such times, and yet I have had to learn to let go of my desire to do so. I have had to choose not to resent being away from my writing, which is such a part of me. Instead I have leant into the time spent building memories with my children – who are also a huge part of me. The gorgeous weather meant we got out and about much more; something I don’t do enough during term times and so I know it has done me a lot of good. I hardly turned my computer at all, which is almost unheard of for me!

I found that God caught me unawares during a walk or other activity during the two weeks. He whispered to me, and taught me more about embracing and enjoying what was before me on any given day. When I reflected on how He has also been drawing me to spend quiet, contemplative moments with Him each morning too, I realised that He is moving me in a slightly different direction in my walk with Him. In doing so, He has also been giving me fresh ideas for my writing.

So, during this season, I have been learning that embracing each moment as it comes can help us to connect with God in a deeper way – and even connect more deeply with our writing too.


How can you embrace each moment today?

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous young children, pastor’s wife, worship leader and school governor. Claire’s desire is to help others draw closer to God through her writing, which focuses on authenticity, marriage, parenting, worship, discipleship, issues facing women today etc. Her books include Taking your Spiritual Pulse, CWR’s Insight Into Managing Conflict and Insight Into Self-acceptance, Cover to Cover: David A man after God’s own heart and BRF Foundations21 study guides on Prayer and Jesus. She also writes Bible study notes regularly, and her latest co-written book, Insight Into Burnout, was published in February. Her next book, Taking off the mask: learning to live authentically, is due for publication in November 2017 by Authentic Media. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com and @CMusters on Twitter.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this. I think it is something God is teaching me. I need to learn to live in the present, live in the moment, always remember that Christ is with me. If my mind wonders into the future or past I think I lose that ability to be aware of Christ. He seems present in the present, not the past or future. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment