With A Little Help From My Friends.... by Mandy Baker Johnson

There is an Arab proverb that says something along the lines of if you want to go fast, go alone but if you want to go far, go with others.

I think it applies to writing as much as anything else in life.

When I started out blogging in 2008, I seriously lacked confidence and had no idea a writer had a 'voice', never mind finding mine. My first posts were so stilted and formal! The idea of promoting them through social media was nothing short of terrifying.

But then I became a member of ACW and started getting to know others at writers' days. Joining the ACW Facebook group was one of the best things I could have done. I was pretty daunted initially because everyone seemed to know more and be further along than me in the writing game, but I was impressed by how kind and supportive people were without being wishy-washy.

I dared to post a link to a fiction blog I was writing and asked for feedback. Then I held my breath. Would anyone bother to click the link?

The feedback I received was astounding. So positive and helpful. One wonderful published author told me she'd searched for me on Amazon thinking I was published too and was most concerned she couldn't find my author page. I can't tell you how that made my heart leap.


Scargill Writers' Annual Pilgrimage
Since then, I've made some good, solid writer friends. We interact online almost daily, and meet up at what's becoming an annual pilgrimage to Scargill.

This Christian writing community is good. It's helped me develop my work, grow in confidence (this has been huge for me), and given me courage to go on adventures with writing. To just write and see where it takes me. To pour my thoughts onto the screen and dare to click 'publish'.

I wouldn't be the writer and blogger I am today without you lot. So thank you!



Mandy Baker Johnson is a private medical secretary and freelance writer. She enjoys blogging and recently co-authored her first book, Drawn from Words. She volunteers with a Christian charity working with women in the sex industry, and is currently researching this area for her second book.

Comments

  1. This is so true Mandy! Amazing to have met people through the ACW and online. I am still where you were in 2008 but getting braver!! 😃 Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true Mandy! Amazing to have met people through the ACW and online. I am still where you were in 2008 but getting braver!! 😃 Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment